Vice President of Operations
Who We Are
Urban Insight is a leading digital agency creating innovative websites and web applications for organizations that make a difference. We specialize in solving complex problems through website strategy, design and development using open source content management systems (primarily, Drupal and WordPress, and headless or composable architectures). Our clients include some of the most well known museums, nonprofits, universities, cities and others. Urban Insight has been in business for nearly 25 years and continues to expand each year. We thrive on having a professionally rewarding environment where team members are encouraged to grow.
The Vice President of Operations (remote, U.S. based position) reports directly to the CEO. As the VP of Ops you will be the operational catalyst and strategic navigator of our organization. In this pivotal role, you will be a thought partner to the CEO and executive team in driving the company forward. This role will be critical in continuing Urban Insight’s success into the future. You will lead the efficient execution of our business strategies, ensuring the seamless integration of our operations, and fostering a culture of excellence and innovation. Your mission is to harmonize all of our major operational functions, lead our project delivery, optimize resource allocation, and elevate our overall performance, thus enabling us to achieve our strategic goals and sustainably grow the business. This role is ideal for a motivated, energetic leader with a high sense of urgency who wants to help take an organization to the next level.
- Operational & Growth Strategy: Develop and implement operational strategy and provide thought partnership to CEO on growth strategy as we seek to achieve Urban Insight’s 10-year goal to profitably 10x revenue.
- Client Operations: Lead client service function for our projects and clients, ensuring our clients are our biggest advocates through delivering exceptional project quality that is on time and on budget. Success evidenced by maintaining and improving client retention rates, growing margin, optimizing pricing and great client reviews and testimonials.
- People Processes and Internal Operations: Head hiring, retention, performance management, and internal processes to keep retention higher than industry standards, keeping our best team members engaged and supported, and maintaining a process to ensure we hire A players at every level and role. Further develop and improve processes to ensure internal operations and administration function cohesively and scale with us as we grow.
- Leadership and Management: Coach and develop the next layer of leaders in our organization (across Project Management, Creative, HR, Sales and Marketing) to help them grow individually and to profitability grow their departments.
- Sales, Marketing & Estimating: Coach and manage sales, marketing and estimating function to drive profitable new business via RFPs and direct sales, and harmonious handoff from sales to delivery.
- 10+ years of operations and leadership experience reporting to the COO or CEO.
- At least half of those years should be in a web development agency, project-based, fast-paced agency setting, or consulting firm with an employee base of 20 to 150. Working with WordPress and/or Drupal projects in particular is a plus
- Previous experience leading client interactions and relationships while delivering complex website and web application projects.
- Demonstrated success leading internal and people operations that resulted in profitable growth.
- Leadership, management and accountability experience overseeing a minimum of two direct reports at once.
- Experience managing sales, estimating and marketing functions.
In the first 90 days:
- Develop gap analysis of key areas for improvement and investment for the Company.
- Deliver a one-year project plan with a clearly prioritized set of initiatives to improve and enhance key functional areas that you lead.
- Ownership of short-term and long-term forecasting.
In the first year:
- Operational Strategy: Identification and implementation of project plan developed in first 90 days for new and enhanced processes across the company with initiatives clearly prioritized
- Client Operations: Gross and net client and revenue retention consistently measured and at least at 90-95%. Every new client provides a five star public review and will serve as a positive reference while hitting target margin for client account
- People Processes and Internal Operations: Top performers are happy and engaged ensuring employee retention is consistently measured and maintained. Company and project margins improved by 3-5% YoY
- Leadership and Management: Career and skill development plans for current direct reports created and accountability for completion
- Sales, Marketing & Estimating: Consistent, high quality and timely completion of all estimates and proposals
- Total annual compensation $175,000-225,000 (salary + target bonus [based on company and personal performance])
- Paid time off (20 days off)
- Holiday time off (10 days per year).
- Health insurance (95% employer-paid for you).
- Dental insurance (95% employer-paid for you).
- Company-sponsored 401(k) plan with employer match (after 90 days).
About Urban Insight
- Urban Insight is a Los Angeles-based digital agency with 35+ team members. https://www.urbaninsight.com/
- We are on a path to profitably 10x revenue in 10 years while working on meaningful projects for clients that make a difference.
- We work with some of LA’s best-known institutions, such as LACMA, The Broad, Planetizen Courses, University of Southern California, City of Los Angeles, and the Japanese American National Museum
- We’re the top-ranked Web development and Drupal agency in Los Angeles, according to Clutch, an independent analyst. Have a look at what our clients say about us: https://clutch.co/profile/urban-insight
- We help our clients with beautiful and flexible websites and web apps. We do this by providing strong project leadership, honest advice, thoughtful user-centered design, and technical best practices.
- We take on cutting edge, challenging projects for appreciative clients, and have a supportive and team-based approach to projects.
- We plan, design, and create innovative websites, and we often use open source web content management systems like Drupal and WordPress.
- We have a clearly-defined project management methodology and case management system. We strive to be the most organized environment in which you've ever worked. (If we're not, then we can learn from you!)
Why Work at Urban Insight
- Join a dynamic and collaborative team where your leadership makes an impact.
- We offer a flexible working environment - work from anywhere in the United States.
- Average employee tenure is 6.5 years.
- We're stable and growing. We've been in business for 23+ years, and continue to grow each year.
- The right candidate will find numerous opportunities for growth.
- We allocate resources and time for training and professional development.
- We have weekly events to keep the team connected: Lunch & Learns, Lightning Demos, Game Breaks.
- There are many more reasons: https://www.urbaninsight.com/careers
Please apply on this page. This position is open until filled.
Thank you for your interest in working with us at Urban Insight.