Controller (LATAM) (Contractor)
Financial Controller (Remote LATAM) (Contractor) $20,000-25,000 USD Per Year (approx. $90,000,000-115,000,000 COP per year)
Urban Insight and Planetizen (sister companies - www.urbaninsight.com and www.planetizen.com) are looking for a talented Controller to lead our accounting and finance operations and keep our books. This person will work closely with our CEO and COO as well as various department heads to support the growth of Urban Insight and Planetizen.
This is the right role for an experienced accountant with a deep understanding of accrual accounting, an analytical mindset, and a detail-oriented team player who has an ability to work independently. If you are excited by not only maintaining and closing the books, but also by the prospect of managing and building out robust accounting and finance processes, and leading initiatives such as converting our existing cash basis accounting to accrual, developing forecasts, and creating KPI dashboards, this role is a great fit for you.
- Daily accounting tasks including bookkeeping, maintaining financials, general ledger, journal entries, accounts payables, invoicing and accounts receivables, bi-weekly payroll, and tracking of contact and payment terms
- Maintain an accounting system of procedures and guidelines to follow. Implement controls to minimize risk. Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal government requirements.
- The development and maintenance of KPIs and dashboards to help guide management decisions
- Coordinate with outside tax advisor on quarterly and annual filings and returns
- Timely preparation of monthly financial statements and bank reconciliations
- Provide management with guidance on cost management
- Knowledge and ability to convert existing books from cash to accrual accounting, and maintain on accrual basis going forward
- Work with the CEO to develop an annual budgeting and forecasting process, and developing a 13 week cash flow forecast
- Support with financial and other quantitative analyses
- Develop return on investment analyses
- Other (limited) administrative support
- Fluency in English
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in accounting/finance
- Experience and deep understanding of accrual accounting
- Robust experience with Quickbooks Online
- Strong Excel skills strongly preferred
- Tax reporting and preparation experience
- Prioritization and time-management skills
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree; study in tax, accounting, or finance preferred
Nice to Have
- Experience with automation tools such as Zapier or Automate.io
- Corporate Finance knowledge and experience
- Experience in a digital or other marketing agency
- Experience with online news or elearning platforms
- Masters Degree in accounting or finance
- CPA or equivalent experience
Location & Availability
- Work from any location in LATAM, available 9am - 5pm in any US time zone
- This position is available for fully remote
Your Career Path
The position offers multiple career paths within Urban Insight and Planetizen. The most likely career path for a high-achieving and results oriented team member is Staff Accountant, Senior Accountant, Junior Controller, Controller, and CFO.
About Urban Insight and Planetizen
- Urban Insight is a leading digital agency.
- Planetizen is the largest independent education and news resource for urban planners.
- We are a team of 30+.
- We work with some of LA’s best-known institutions, such as LACMA, The Broad, University of Southern California, City of Los Angeles, and the Japanese American National Museum.
- We’re the top-ranked Web development agency in Los Angeles, according to Clutch, an independent analyst. Have a look at what our clients say about us: https://clutch.co/profile/urban-insight
- We run on the Entrepreneurial Operating System
Why Work At Urban Insight and Planetizen?
- We work with you to create a career path that works for you.
- Work from anywhere in LATAM
- The average employee tenure is 6.5 years.
- We're stable; We've been in business for 21 years, and continue to grow each year.
- We offer a casual and flexible working environment with plenty of opportunities for growth for the right candidate.
- We believe in a reasonable life/work balance and enjoy 40-hour work weeks.
- We allocate time for training and professional development.
- We take on interesting, meaningful projects for appreciative clients.
- Learn about using the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS) in a rapidly-growing agency
- There are many more reasons:
We offer a competitive salary which depends on your qualifications, experience, education, and certifications. Our salary package includes:
- Paid time off (15 days increasing to 20 in year four).
- Holiday time off (~10 days per year) [eligible after 6 months].
- Performance and compensation reviews annually.
- Annual customized training plan and time to work on it.
Please apply on this page. This position is open until filled.
Thank you for your potential interest in working with us at Urban Insight and Planetizen.