Staff Accountant / Junior Accountant
Staff Accountant / Junior Accountant (Remote or Los Angeles) Full Time $50,000-60,000 Per Year Plus Benefits
Urban Insight and Planetizen (sister companies - www.urbaninsight.com and www.planetizen.com) are looking for a highly skilled staff accountant to accurately keep the books of both companies and help us build our accounting and finance practice. This person will work closely with our CEO and COO as well as various department heads to ensure the timely and accurate creation of income statements, balance sheets and cash flow statements.
This is the right role for an experienced, and ideally certified QuickBooks bookkeeper with a deep understanding of accrual accounting, an analytical mindset, and a detail-oriented team player who has an ability to work independently.
- Daily accounting tasks including maintaining financials, general ledger, journal entries, accounts payables, invoicing and accounts receivables, bi-weekly payroll, and tracking of contact and payment terms
- Manage all accounting procedures and processes - Maintain financial reports, records and general ledgers for consistent bookkeeping and budgetary analysis
- Support development and maintenance of KPIs and dashboards
- Coordinate with outside tax advisor on quarterly and annual filings and returns
- Preparation of monthly financial statements
- Knowledge and ability to convert existing books from cash to accrual accounting, and maintain on accrual basis going forward
- Working with the CEO to develop an annual budgeting and forecasting process
- Field ad hoc data requests that support financial and other quantitative analyses
- Other (limited) administrative support
- Minimum 5 years’ advanced QuickBooks bookkeeping experienceExperience and deep understanding of accrual accounting
- Robust experience with Quickbooks Online
- Strong Excel skills strongly preferred
- Deep knowledge of accounting principles
- Familiarity with data required for tax reporting and tax preparation
- Prioritization and time-management skills
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree; study in tax, accounting, or finance preferred
Nice to Have
- “QuickBooks Certified ProAdvisor” Certification
- NACPB Quickbooks Online Certification
- Experience with automation tools such as Zapier or Automate.io
- Experience in a digital or other marketing agency
- Experience with online news or e-learning platforms
Location & Availability
- Work from any location in the US, available 9am - 5pm in any US time zone
- This position is available for fully remote (US), partially remote (a few days in the office) or in-person in our sunny, LA Office.
Your Career Path
The position offers multiple career paths within Urban Insight and Planetizen. The most likely career path for a high-achieving and results oriented team member is Staff Accountant, Senior Accountant, Junior Controller, Controller, and CFO.
About Urban Insight and Planetizen
- Urban Insight is a leading digital agency.
- Planetizen is the largest independent education and news resource for urban planners.
- We are a team of 30+.
- We work with some of LA’s best-known institutions, such as LACMA, The Broad, University of Southern California, City of Los Angeles, and the Japanese American National Museum.
- We’re the top-ranked Web development agency in Los Angeles, according to Clutch, an independent analyst. Have a look at what our clients say about us: https://clutch.co/profile/urban-insight
- We run on the Entrepreneurial Operating System
Why Work At Urban Insight and Planetizen?
- We work with you to create a career path that works for you.
- Work from anywhere in the US.
- The average employee tenure is 6.5 years.
- We're stable; We've been in business for 21 years, and continue to grow each year.
- We offer a casual and flexible working environment with plenty of opportunities for growth for the right candidate.
- We believe in a reasonable life/work balance and enjoy 40-hour work weeks.
- We allocate time for training and professional development.
- We take on interesting, meaningful projects for appreciative clients.
- Learn about using the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS) in a rapidly-growing agency
- There are many more reasons:
Compensation and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary which depends on your qualifications, experience, education, and certifications. Our salary package includes:
- Paid time off (15 days increasing to 20 in year four).
- Holiday time off (~10 days per year) [eligible after 6 months].
- Health insurance (95% employer-paid).
- Dental insurance (95% employer-paid).
- Company-sponsored 401(k) plan with employer match (after 90 days).
- Performance and compensation reviews annually.
- Annual customized training plan and time to work on it.
Please apply on this page. This position is open until filled.
Thank you for your potential interest in working with us at Urban Insight and Planetizen.